Saturday, December 8, 2007

post 16

  • There was the day Kim got into the cupboard when she was very small and tasted the oven cleaner. It peeled the top layer off her tongue, and Phyllis hadn't been there in a hurry, rinsed her mouth and gotten treatment for her, heaven knows how badly she'd have been hurt.
  • There was the morning, where 5 year old Wayne ran into the house, bolted under his bed and quivered there, while Phyllis answered the door to an angry man who explained that the boy who'd just ran into the house had thrown a rock at his car.
  • Wayne sets records and the phone rings and people want interviews.
  • Kids need to be accepted for themselves, and when you've got a famouse brother, sometimes it's hard to be sure in your own mind whether people want to be friends because you're you or because your brother is Wayne Gretzky.
  • Glen may turn out to be the sharpest of them all, in more ways then one. When Wayne's home, Glen will follow him around the house watching him dress, seeing how he combs his hair, how he puts his shoes on, everything.
  • The entire family hasn't been together for Christmas since 1977, the last one before Wayne turned pro. That bothers Wayne. Last Christmas, he flew Glen and Brent to Edmonton to spend a few days with him and shipped them home Christmas Eve.
  • Wayne's sister Kim said "It used to bother me, being known as Wayne's sister. Not that I was left out, because I never was. My parents gave me whatever I wanted within reason. It was just that everything was built around hockey and I didn't play hockey. I guess that's why it hurt so much when i had to give up track, because it was something I was doing for myself, by myself."

No comments: