Monday, December 10, 2007

post 18

  • I came home after makin persentations at an afternoon basketball tournament at St. John's College and found a big, dark blue Cadillac in our driveway with a ribbon aroung it. The license plate looked familiar, which figured - the last time I'd seen them that morning they'd been on my station wagon. There were 2 strange people sitting in the living room. "dont look at me," Phyllis said. "I had nothing to do with it." The kids had scattered, heading for cover. It was April 23, 1983, our 23 wedding anniversary.
  • Phyllis tried to get back the Station Wagon but the dealership sold it and how was i going to get to work? I couldn't drive that thing. Walter Gretzky, driving to the Bell in a Cadillac? What would the other guys say.
  • The Blue Goose was a '65 Chevy, and there probably wouldn't have been to many White Tornado stories without it.
  • I remembered that Phyllis sold the Goose when I wasn't looking. I came home one day and it was gone. It was the Cadillac story all over again, only this time there was no other car. "Phyllis, where's the Goose?" I demanded. "Here is your $25," she said. "I called the wreckers. They towed it away." Boy, I was mad. The Goose was only ten years old. Couldn't have had more than 180,000 miles on her. I could of squeezed out at least another 40,000. Woman didn't know a great car when she saw one. The 2 station wagons that followed the Goose were special, too.
  • I had enough money to pay for the first part of the first one. The other $3,000 I borrowed from Dad. He was pretty sick at the time. When I tried to discuss how I'd pay it back, he just looked at me and said, "Don't worry about it." He knwq rhwew wasn't much time left. The second one - the one Wayne wound up trading in on the Cadillac - just showed up. Wayne was home. and he'd taken Kim out to buy her a car for her seventeenth birthday. they were gone for hours. When they finally got home, Wayne handed me a set of keys. I went out the front door and just about fainted. there wasn't just one new car in the driveway, there was 2. Kim's firebird and a station wagon.

No comments: